Thursday, November 24, 2005

Allusions, citations, echoes, etc.,etc., etc.,

Lately I've been reading S. Pattemore's "The People of God in the Apocalypse: Discourse, Structure, and Exegesis." Thus far, I've been impressed with his handling of the text of Rev 6. I've also found his approach to Old Testament and second temple parallels quite interesting. Pattemore's use of Relevance Theory (more on this to come) seems to help him make judicious decisions regarding possible intertextual connections. I plan on commenting more on his approach to intertextuality, but for now I will begin with a "short" quotation:

"[H]ow does it advance our understanding of a text if we distinguish between a quotation and an allusion? If an allusion is deliberate and recognizable, then it is equivalent to a quotation because it conveys communicative propositions like 'I have taken this idea from the former text' and 'the former text has something to contribute to your understanding of my meanings' as cognitive effects. Even a formal quotation may convey no more than this, in terms of communicative intents."

No comments: